Source: Davidson Gifted program website, Jul/Aug 1986
Ten-year-old Terence Tao, or Adelaide, South Australia, is a prodigiously gifted young mathematician. Julian Stanley, Director of the Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth (SMPY) at Johns Hopkins University states that Terry has the greatest mathematical reasoning ability he has found in 14 years of intensive searching (Stanley, 1985).
Terry’s educational program contains five elements which Van Tassel-Baska identifies as essential elements of a successful gifted program (Van Tassel-Baska, 1985):
- content acceleration to the level of the child’s abilities;
- thoughtfully planned, relevant enrichment;
- guidance in selecting courses and directions;
- special instruction with the opportunity to work closely with other gifted youth;
- and the opportunity to work with mentors who have high-level expertise in the child’s area of giftedness.